Warning: Declaration of gp_mobile_menu::start_lvl(&$output, $depth) should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = NULL) in /home/micha207/public_html/ops/wp-content/themes/buddy/functions.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of gp_mobile_menu::end_lvl(&$output, $depth) should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::end_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = NULL) in /home/micha207/public_html/ops/wp-content/themes/buddy/functions.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of gp_mobile_menu::start_el(&$output, $item, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::start_el(&$output, $item, $depth = 0, $args = NULL, $id = 0) in /home/micha207/public_html/ops/wp-content/themes/buddy/functions.php on line 0

Warning: Declaration of gp_mobile_menu::end_el(&$output, $item, $depth) should be compatible with Walker_Nav_Menu::end_el(&$output, $item, $depth = 0, $args = NULL) in /home/micha207/public_html/ops/wp-content/themes/buddy/functions.php on line 0
Ontario Pathfinder Society | Gryphcon 2016, February 26 – 28, Seeking GMs

Gryphcon 2016, February 26 – 28, Seeking GMs

Gryphcon is coming, and thanks to the efforts of past volunteers and our retired venture officer core, has left expectations for excellence from con attendees/organizers. As a surrogate alumni, I’ve always had a soft spot for this con, and would love to continue that tradition with the your help.

The con is February 26th–28th, there are a total of 6 slots that we are looking to fill:

• Slot 1: Friday 7:00 pm – 11:00 pm
  • Slot 3: Saturday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
  • Slot 4: Saturday 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
  • Slot 5: Saturday 7:00 pm – 11:00 pm
  • Slot 7: Sunday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
  • Slot 8: Sunday 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm

I have a tentative schedule for 5 games + Quests/Demos + Admin in each slot, except slot 5, where I have placed Siege of Serpents as the con special

The con is hosted as always at the University of Guelph. The admission fee is either a per game fee or an unlimited admission, GMs who work 1-2 slots receive an equal number of free slots, GMs who work 3 slots receive unlimited admission.

Please email me, geoffrey@peart.org if you are interested, and what days you can participate in. Once I have a list of GMs I will distribute the schedule and sort out actual assignment. We can also work on carpooling since that can be a deterrent.

Thanks

Geoffrey

24 Comments

1. DavidC - December 11, 2015, 12:41 pm

Is anyone driving up and back either Saturday or Sunday? I would love to help out, but transit costs are a bit high .

• DavidC - December 12, 2015, 7:40 pm

Gryphcon and Phantasm Equinox are on the same weekend this year. To staff both, we are going to need a lot of volunteers. So I’m hoping those of us who drive can arrange some carpools or some such. Right now both cons are short the requisite # of GMs so please, please please, if you can find a way to either con we are in need of aid.

• DavidC - December 12, 2015, 7:46 pm

Ok, I had my dates wrong. Phantasm is in March. It’s the week after Breakout, sadly.

• DavidC - December 12, 2015, 8:43 pm

Nope, I was right in the first place. Ignore the second message

• EricMcG

EricMcG - December 12, 2015, 9:34 pm

I will be doing slots 4&5 coming back afterwards. Slots 1 & 8 are slim possibilities.

2. Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson - December 13, 2015, 2:31 am

I can easily do Sunday. I can do Saturday if I can get a ride home Saturday night.

• DavidC - December 13, 2015, 11:59 am

Paul, does that mean you will not be at Phantasm?

• Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson - December 13, 2015, 4:53 pm

OK, so we have two tournaments on the same weekend. Gryphcon is the larger (the Spring Phantasm is smaller than the Fall one and the Fall one is smaller than Gryphcon). Both are great, well run Cons that we’d really like to support.

I’ll definitely up my commitment to GMing both days. I’m reasonably indifferent to where with the caveat (handled by Geoffrey) that if I do Gryphcon Saturday evening I need a ride back to TO.

Any chance that we can do the Con Special at Gryphcon in the afternoon rather than the evening? That would let me do morning/afternoon at both while still getting a reasonable nights sleep.

It’s not a huge deal but I’d like to run the Special if possible. Since it appears that Fan Expo isn’t ever going to be recorded I still need a Special to make 10.

• Geoffrey

Geoffrey - December 13, 2015, 5:20 pm

I worried about cramming the special into the afternoon. Do things like True Dragons and Serpents Rise count as specials for your count? I don’t know if we will have 5 Star (or 5 Star Equivalent GMs) but I think Serpents Rise is 4 star, and I’d like to see it run.

• Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson - December 13, 2015, 7:25 pm

Serpents Rise is a 4 star special, I believe.

If I can get Tonya to enter Fan Expo and if I pass a GM test and get the paper work done (lots and lots of ifs, I admit) I could even run the 5 star special (which is lots of fun)

3. Geoffrey

Geoffrey - December 13, 2015, 9:57 am

I will make sure I have my van, so worst case scenario, I can deposit a group of people (5 adults) at the TTC in Yorkdale.

• DavidC - December 14, 2015, 6:55 pm

I’ll be running the 5-star special at Phantasm.

• Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson - December 15, 2015, 12:03 am

You’re a 5 Star GM? Cool

• DavidC - December 16, 2015, 5:25 pm

VLs can GM as if their stars were +2.

4. Michael

Michael - December 14, 2015, 11:15 am

I am planning on staying overnight for the convention: either coming down Friday and driving back Saturday night, or coming down Saturday and driving back Sunday. I’ll finalize my plans soon so I can better aid in the carpooling situation.

Geoff, as you know, I organized this con the last few years so I’m more than happy to help out a bit with the planning (and of course, GMing). I’ll email you some information later today regarding numbers and logistics from previous years so you can get a good baseline of the attendance.

Also, it may be a good idea to have the convention special in the afternoon slot. From what I remember, we hit 5-6 tables easily in the afternoon slot, whereas the evening we usually go down to about 4.

5. Geoffrey

Geoffrey - December 15, 2015, 9:01 am

Two questions:
    1) is there a preference to #6-97: Siege of Serpents or #7-00: Sky Key Solution
    2) If we do the midday slot for the special, is there a concern over running over the slot time and into the evening slot?

• Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson - December 15, 2015, 12:16 pm

1) although it’s a reasonably distinct group we’ve run 6-97 at Fan Expo and not 7-00

2) maybe. But people don’t like the evening slipping either

6. DavidC - December 16, 2015, 5:23 pm

Anthony can confirm but Tonya told me we are not allowed to run 7-00. Not until after it debuts at CanGames.

• JasonS

JasonS - December 21, 2015, 9:44 am

Sky Key Solution has already debutted at Gencon and should be available at any convention where there enough tables.

I’m very familiar with Cangames since it’s in my hometown and I go every second year. There is almost no overlap between the players who go to Cangames and those who go to Gryphcon, so there’s really no reason why it can’t be run at both.

Gryphcon (imo) is the best convention in the GTA (hopefully Breakout will takeover) and if Breakout doesn’t have it, Gryphcon should.

This should be a decision for our new VC, so why would Tonya be involved at this point?

7. Geoffrey

Geoffrey - December 18, 2015, 2:37 pm

I’ll email out the schedule later today, I’ve written 7-00 but if there is an issue it is the “special” and will switch back to 6-97

• Geoffrey

Geoffrey - December 21, 2015, 10:19 am

I realize this conversation is both in email/forum, but Michael has confirmed he will be in for Saturday, and he has generously offered to bring folks back to Toronto with him Saturday night.

8. JasonS

JasonS - December 21, 2015, 10:26 am

I can GM Deep Market Deception for 2 slots (total) anywhere you want.

• JasonS

JasonS - December 21, 2015, 10:27 am

Sorry, that was meant for the Breakout thread.

9. Geoffrey

Geoffrey - January 4, 2016, 11:52 am

Folks, still looking to fill a few more slots, I have posted the schedule here: http://www.ontariopathfinders.com/2015/12/06/breakout-march-18-20-gms-needed/ If you haven’t signed up, and can please email me geoffrey (at) peart.org or reply here.

Thanks